Utrecht University, in the Netherlands, is one of the oldest universities in the country. The university consists of seven faculties including humanities; social and behavioral sciences; law, economics, and governance; geosciences; medicine; veterinary medicine and science. Moreover, the university ranks at 120th position according to the QS World University Ranking. The university counts 12 Nobel Prize laureates as well as 19 Spinoza Prize laureates as part of the alumni and faculty. Further, the university avails several resources and facilities to students that helps them achieve a distinction in their career. As such, Utrecht University offers the Excellence Scholarship for international students.
Every year, approximately 1,500 international students come to the university to take English-taught degree programs and other courses. Moreover, students work and study closely together, learning to operate in an international environment from the outset. This is essential for scientists as well as scholars in our increasingly globalized world.
Utrecht Excellence Scholarship
For the academic session of 2020-2021, Utrecht University provides 20-25 scholarships distributed across the 6 Graduate Schools. Moreover, the Utrecht Excellence scholarship offers the Postgraduate Students:
- tuition fees
- tuition fees plus €11,000 living expenses
As the grant is not automatically a full scholarship, it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance your studies and stay completely. Further, students requiring a residence permit in the Netherlands must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means.
Eligibility for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship
Utrecht University considers an international student eligible for the Excellence Scholarship in Netherlands if they:
- Belong to the top 10% of their graduating class:
an official document issued by your university that proves you are among the top 10% of your graduating class, such as a statement signed and stamped by your University, a reference letter, a class ranking certificate, etc.
- Nor hold an EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Likewise, have completed secondary school and/or Bachelor degree outside the Netherlands;
- Have applied for an international master’s program with a start date of September 1, 2020. However, candidates must note that not all programs are eligible to participate for the scholarship.
- Also, be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa/residence permit.
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
How to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship
After submitting an application for the Master’s program, non-EU/EEA students will have the option to submit an application for a Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. The students will then, require to upload proof of belonging to the top 10% of your graduating class.
Students must note that, in order to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, the students must, at first, apply for admission at the university.
- Submit an application for a Master’s program; if you do not do this first, your UES application will simply be deleted.
- After submitting an application for a Master’s program, you can go to Osiris Online Application.
- Log in with your Osiris username and password.
- Click on the link ‘New application’.
- Answer the UES questions and upload the requested document(s).
- Submit your application.
Prospective students who wish to be considered for the scholarship must apply before January 31st 23:59 CET 2020, after which the application portal will be closed.