Work-Study in Australia

All students may not be able to pay for their study and manage living just with their family support. For such students, working alongside study can complement. There can also be other reasons like gaining work experience while you are in college. So, undertaking a part-time job can be helpful for students in Australia.

Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break, but before you undertake any paid work you need to make sure your visa allows you to work.

Paid work

Australia has a wide range of industries and many have part-time employment opportunities, including:

  • Administration or Clerical roles.
  • Tourism – hotels, and motels.
  • Hospitality – cafes, bars, and restaurants.
  • Agricultural – farming, and fruit-picking.
  • Retail – supermarkets, department and clothing stores.
  • Sales and telemarketing.

If you already have professional work experience, it is easier for you to secure a job for yourself.


Paid or unpaid internships can be a great way to get exposure to the professional, financial and creative industries. You can strengthen yourself professionally if you involve in such activities. It is better for you to involve in internships related to your area of study since you can gain practical knowledge and thus prepare yourself for your future career.


There are many charities and non-government organizations (NGOs) in Australia and they always need volunteers to help out. It can be a great way to meet friends, get some hands-on work experience and give back to the community.

Your rights

Everyone working in Australia, including international students or those on working holiday visas, have basic rights at work. These rights protect entitlement to:

  • A minimum wage and superannuation.
  • Challenge of unfair dismissal from the job
  • Leave, breaks and rest periods.
  • A healthy and safe work environment.

If you’re a temporary resident working in Australia your employer has to pay super for you if you are eligible.

When you leave Australia, you can claim your super as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) if you meet all the requirements.

In Australia, employers (your boss) must also do all they can to make sure your job does not hurt you or make you sick. This law is called work health and safety (WHS) or occupational health and safety (OHS).

The law also says your boss must have insurance for you in case you are hurt at work. This is called workers’ compensation. If you are hurt or get sick at work, the insurance may pay for your medical treatment and for your wages until you can work again.

This covers all workers in Australia, even if you are on a temporary visa. You will also need to get a tax file number to work in Australia.

Finding Work

There are plenty of ways to find work that suits you, including:

  • Newspapers and online job sites.
  • Some institutions provide job notice-boards on campus and online. Contact your institution’s international student support staff to find out what options your institution offers.

Register your details at a recruitment firm; many of them help place people in casual or short-term work.


Your email address will not be published. Fields marked with * are required.