Fully funded Donald A Wehrung International Student Award is a need-and-merit-based award at the University of British Columbia. It recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances. However, the students, without the financial aid would be unable to attend the university.
Secondary schools and recognized international development agencies and their affiliates may submit the nomination. A school or organization may nominate one student for UBC’s Donald Wehrung International Student Award (DWISA) for undergraduate study at UBC’s Vancouver campus or Okanagan campus. A nonprofit organization may not nominate another student from a school if the school has already nominated a student.
Fully Funded University of British Columbia International Student Award
The value of the fully funded Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award is proportional to the demonstrated financial need. Further, it also covers living expenses and tuition costs for your degree of study.
Recipients may renew the scholarship for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion. In order to do so, the students must achieve satisfactory academic standing in their faculty as well as continue to demonstrate financial need and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
Eligibility for the University of British Columbia International Student Award
The University of British Columbia considers a candidate eligible for the fully funded Donald A Wehrung International Student Award if they are:
- An international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- Graduating or have recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school.
- Applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- Meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements. Also, they must meet the English Language Admission Standard.
- Likewise, demonstrate superior academic achievement (achieve all As or equivalent standard) and leadership potential.
- The applicants must come from a war-torn, politically unstable, or economically disadvantaged region of the world.
- Also, the students must have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances. Further, they must have no financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary education in your own country.
Applicants must note, however, that nomination for a Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award restricts them for merit-based awards, including International Major Entrance Scholarships as well as Outstanding International Student Awards.
How to apply for the Fully Funded University of British Columbia Scholarship?
In order to apply for the Donald A Wehrung International Student Award at the University of British Columbia, the candidates must complete the online Undergraduate Admission Application.
The normal application procedure requires payment of an application fee before submitting the application electronically. However, DWISA nominees do not require to pay the application fee, and therefore, follow a special procedure in order to submit the admission application.
The nominating school or organization must email UBC at and provide the first name, surname, and date of birth of their nominee. Further, the nominating school/organization also should provide their full name, the position at the school/organization, school/organization name, address, email address and phone number.
Next, the Nominee creates a Campus-Wide Login (CWL) and completes an online application for undergraduate admission.
Candidates can submit their scholarship application at the University of British Columbia until 01 December 2019. While, by 31 January 2020, the candidates must submit their English Proficiency Score.