Applications to undergraduate, Masters and Doctoral Degree Programs for fall 2022 at the National Tsing Hua University are currently being received. Enrolling international students may win the NTHU International Student Scholarship. This scholarship is offered by the Office of Global Affairs at NTHU to international students enrolling in undergraduate, and graduate degree programs at the university. Students from all countries in the world who wish to study at the National Tsing Hua University are welcome to apply.
The scholarship is awarded to admitted international students. Therefore, those who wish to be considered for this scholarship must first apply for admission at the university. Funded by the university, this scholarship program is open for international students to study at undergraduate, master, and PhD degree levels.
NTHU International Student Scholarship Benefits
Selected candidates for this university scholarship will have the following benefits:
- Doctoral students: NTD 20,000 ~ 40,000 per month.
- Master students: NTD 5,000 per month or NTD 60,000 per year
- Bachelor students: NTD 5,000 per month or NTD 60,000 per year
- Tuition and Credit fee waived.
Scholarships are renewed every year, based on merit. The applicant should re-apply each year.
NTHU International Student Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- All individuals of foreign nationality, who never had a R.O.C. citizenship and do not possess an overseas Chinese student status at the time of their application, are qualified to apply for admission to National Tsing Hua University as an international student.
- The following two exceptions are made for individuals who have lived overseas continuously for more than six years. The six-year period shall be calculated from the starting date of the semester for which the applicant is applying (Feb.1st for the spring semester or Aug.1st for the fall semester). “Overseas” refers to countries or regions other than Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau; the term “continuously” means that an individual may stay in Taiwan for no more than a total of 120 days per calendar year.
- An individual who is also a national of the R.O.C. but does not currently hold and has never held household registration in Taiwan.
- An individual who, at the time of application, has had their R.O.C. citizenship annulled by the Ministry of the Interior for no less than 8 years.
Individuals applying under the terms of these two exceptions must have not studied in Taiwan under the status of an Overseas Chinese student, nor received placement permission through the University Entrance Committee for Overseas Chinese Students.
3. Applicants, concurrently holding a permanent residence status in Hong Kong, Macao, having no history of a household registration record in Taiwan and, at the time of application, have resided in Hong Kong, Macao, or another foreign country for no less than 6 years, are also qualified to apply for admission as an international student.
Those who are interested in this scholarship should apply for admission to their programs. Qualified students will be awarded the scholarship. Applicants should follow the steps below to submit valid applications.
- Firstly, Click on the apply button below;
- Create Your Account: Create a Login ID (email account) and PIN (Personal Identification Number) to set up an account. Once you have an ID and a PIN, please click “Send.” The system will create an account for you. You cannot begin applying without first setting up your account. A valid email is required to continue the process, as this will be our primary means of communication with you. If you do not have a valid email account, please create one before proceeding;
- Additionally, Fill Out the Application Information;
- Similarly, Fill Out Recommenders and Send the Notice: Fill out your recommenders and click “Send Notice” to proceed;
- Moreover, Pay the Fee (to the university) and Upload Requirements: Pay the application fees and prepare materials required for uploading. The applicant must upload all application requirements listed on the checklist;
- Confirm and Submit Your Application: The applicant must confirm and click “Submit” to complete the application;
- Lastly, Track Your Application.
After submitting, the applicant can track the application status using the NTHU International Student Online Application System.
Application Required documents for NTHU International Student Scholarship
- Complete and print out the online application form at National Tsing Hua University Online Application for International Students;
- A photocopy of diploma in English or Chinese;
- Official transcripts in English or Chinese;
- Statement of purpose: Please provide a concise study plan with a maximum of three pages. In the study plan, applicants are encouraged to describe their motivation for choosing NTHU. And, for choosing the specific department or program that they are applying to. For graduate students, potential contribution to the department and research interests may also be included;
- Two recommendation letters;
- Financial certificate: All applicants are required to provide a financial statement issued by a financial institution showing their financial sustainability (minimum US$ 4,000) for study in Taiwan, or a certificate of scholarship. If the submitted financial statement is not under the name of the applicant, then the applicant’s sponsor(s) must provide an affidavit indicating their relationship to the applicant and their intent to provide financial support throughout his/her period of study;
- Declaration form: Print out the declaration form and sign at the bottom after reading it thoroughly. If applicable, we may ask the applicant to submit a copy of the statement of travel record, or their Forfeited Nationality Permit Certificate issued by the Ministry of the Interior and Non-Household Registration Declaration;
- certificate of scholarship copy of passport or some other acceptable verification of nationality;
- Applicants must read through the admission instructions for any additional application instructions and/or required documents of the department or program that they are applying to. If applicable, these should be submitted at the same time with their general application;
- Pretest: Applicants for Bachelor programs must download the Pretest Instructions from Online Application System and submit the pretest (if any);
- Application Fee: The regular fee is TWD 2,000 per department/graduate institute. Where an applicant applies for three or more departments/graduate institutes, the fee is TWD 1,500 per additional application from the third application onwards.
- Applicants who are in the process of completing their studies at the time of application can submit a letter from their current school/university clearly stating their anticipated graduation date;
- Applicants who will be pursuing a second degree (B.Sc. or MA/MBA) in a different field of study must submit a photocopy of their first degree/diploma;
- Before NTHU’s Registration, new students are required to submit diploma and transcript notarized by the Taiwan Embassy;
- All required application forms and relevant documents must be received by the above deadlines. If the application is received late or incomplete, the Office of Global Affairs will not handle the application.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found here to access the application form.