Applications are open for the 2022 Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program. This scholarship is awarded to outstanding international applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge. The major aim of the Gates Cambridge program is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Under Gates Cambridge, up to 80 full-cost scholarships are offered each year to outstanding applicants from selected countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree of their choice in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship program covers both graduates (Masters) as well PhD programs and available places are divided such that approximately 25 awards are awarded to applicants from the US and around and 55 available for applicants from other countries.
Benefits from Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022
If you are selected for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship you will receive coverage of the full cost of studying at Cambridge along with additional, discretionary funding as described below:
- Your University Composition Fee will be covered
- Selected candidates receive a maintenance allowance worth £17,848 for 12 months
- You will receive funding for one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- All visa costs plus the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge will be covered by the scholarship
- Along with the above benefits, the Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Beneficiaries receive Academic development funding worth up to £500 to up to £2,000, to allow them to attend conferences and courses.
- If you have a family, you will receive a Family allowance of up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child
- Maternity/Paternity funding and hardship funding for unforeseen difficulties are also available to beneficiaries
Eligibility Required for Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022
To apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, you must make sure that you fulfill the following conditions
- You must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applications are accepted from candidates applying to pursue a full-time residential course of study at the University of Cambridge
- You must be applying to undertake a PhD, MSc/MLitt, or a One-year postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge
- Current University of Cambridge students are also encouraged to apply.
The application process is categorized into two rounds, namely;
Application for US citizens resident in the United States
- These applicants must submit their applications starting on September 02, 2021. The application deadline for this process is October 1, 2021.
Applications for all other applicants from other countries
- These applicants must submit their applications starting on September 02, 2021. The deadline for this application process is either December 2, 2021, or January 6, 2022. This is entirely dependent on the course you are applying for. Please visit your course-specific website to verify the deadline of application
The applications for both admission to the University of Cambridge and funding must be submitted via the University Graduate Application Portal.
- You must first submit the application for admission into the course of your choice to secure your place
- You will then complete the section for application for the Gates Cambridge funding
- During the application, you will be required to submit an essay of approximately 500 words explaining why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Applicants applying for a PhD program are required to submit a research proposal as part of their application for funding
- You will also need two academic references for admission as well as a third reference for the Gates Cambridge scholarship application.
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.