Applications for the Obama Foundation My Brother’s Keeper Alliance Freedom Summer 2023 Grant Program are now open. Freedom Summer 2023 is an initiative of the Obama Foundation’s My Brother’s Keeper Alliance. The $1 million grant program aims to support local organizations that are working to reduce violence in Chicago communities this summer by creating and expanding spaces and programming where boys and young men of color can safely learn, play, and engage.
Freedom Summer is anchored to the MBK Alliance’s sixth milestone, that all youth should remain safe from violent crime. According to a report by the University of Chicago’s Crime Lab, violent crime in Chicago peaks during the hot summer months: There are about twice as many shootings on days over 85 degrees as there are on days under 50 degrees. Freedom Summer aims to support local organizations as they endeavor to engage youth and contribute to a downturn in violence this summer.
Summer Grant Program
- Each Freedom Summer awardee will receive a $30,000 grant.
Eligibility for Summer Grant Program
- Eligible Freedom Summer applicants must be a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization or a sponsored project of a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor with a valid sponsorship agreement in place.
- The MBK Alliance is looking to support projects that will have a potentially lifesaving impact on boys and young men of color this summer.
- Freedom Summer applications will be evaluated based upon whether or not the eligible applicant’s project proposal aligns with the mission of Freedom Summer.
- Project proposals should be able to measure their projected impact on boys and young men of color and focus on executing creative ways to keep youth engaged and safe this summer.
Application of Summer Grant Program
To apply for the grant, eligible organizations must provide:
- Proof of 501(c)(3) status or partnership agreement
- A short narrative describing the proposed project that meets the mission of Freedom Summer
- An explanation of how the project will impact the lives of boys and young men of color and how the organization will measure success
- A signed letter of support (from CEO or Senior Executive) that details an overview of the programming that the funds will cover and describes any relationships or partnerships that will support the effort
- A simple budget indicating expected expenses
- Age group supported by the application
- The neighborhood or community the project will serve
Lastly, It is important to visit the official website link found below to access the application form.
Correspondingly, Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!