Iona College is one of the good private liberal arts colleges in New York, United States. Many academically talented and brilliant students get to be a part of the Honors Program at Iona College, USA.
Iona College is a private Catholic college in New Rochelle, New York. It was founded in 1940 by the Congregation of Christian Brothers.
Iona is one of the top universities in the United States, in fact, it ranks in the 75th position in National Universities North in the 2018 edition of Best Colleges. It is known for its highly intellectual faculty, and core curriculum and rigorous academics.
Also Read: Ways You Can Afford the College
The Honors Program
The Honors Program is open to high school students who are incoming to Iona as freshmen, as well as current Iona students who did not enter the program as freshmen.
Selection Process for Honors Program Scholarships
All Honors Program candidates will be evaluated for Iona College’s most prestigious scholarships. These scholarships are awarded on a highly-competitive basis upon a thorough review of a student’s academic record, GPA, the rigor of coursework and Honors Program application materials.
Scholarships are awarded based on a student’s GPA, SAT combined score, and application essay to the Iona College Honors Program. Recipients of these scholarships typically have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, and a combined SAT score above 1260.
Honors Program Preferred Criteria
- Preferred minimum high school grade point average of 3.5
- Preferred minimum combined SAT score of 1260 (Math/ERWS) or ACT score of 26
Honors Program Application Process and Timeline
All Honors Program applicants must complete Iona College’s standard admissions process along with the following:
- Honors Essay: The Honors Program brings together intellectually curious students and asks them to think about some of the world’s most powerful ideas in science, philosophy, literature, history, theology and politics – ideas that, while they may defy easy understanding, have nevertheless helped to shape our perceptions of the world and our place in it. Write an essay (750-1,000 words) in which you describe the most powerful idea to which you have been introduced in high school. Your essay should explain what is powerful about this idea in your mind, and why this encounter was significant to you.
- Letter of Recommendation: Written by a teacher, who should provide insight on his/her experience with you in a classroom setting, but also address why he/she thinks that you would be a good fit for the Iona College Honors Program.
- Resume: Outlining work, volunteer participation, extracurricular school activities, and involvement.
- December 1, which coincides with the Early Action deadline (non-binding)
- February 15, which coincides with the regular application deadline
*All Honors Program required materials must be submitted separately from the Iona College general admission requirements.