Rice university falls amongst the most esteemed universities in the United States. As Rice has very generous aid/grant policy, it provides fully funded undergraduate degree to a few deserving students.
Rice University is a private research university in Houston, Texas. It is home to world-renowned faculty and also an innovative educational institution where aspiring curious, creative and geniuses refine their talents.
Rice is best known for its STEM faculty, especially, its engineering and architecture programs. Also, it is famous for its music school. It ranks 14 in National Universities in 2018 edition of Best Colleges.
Rice offers more than 80 undergraduate majors across six divisions of study, including Architecture, Engineering, Humanities, Music, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences.
Additionally, it offers minors, certificates, interdisciplinary and pre-professional programs which complement their comprehensive curriculum, with multiple opportunities for research and collaboration.
- Rice has a need-blind policy for both domestic and international applicants.
- However, it meets the full demonstrated need of every admitted student.
- Rice also offers merit-based scholarship and its eligibility is determined during the admissions process, no separate application is required.
Rice is not only an excellent but also one of the most selective universities in the world. As of 2018, it has an acceptance rate of only 11%.
So, one has to work very hard for the scholarship.
However, few deserving candidates may get a fully funded undergraduate degree at Rice.
- Applicant should be able to demonstrate high academic achievement.
- High GPA and SAT’s score may bolster the chance of getting in.
- Active participation in extra curricular activities.
- Involvement in community service and programs that contributes to society.
- Most students at Rice are passionate about world problems and eager to resolve them.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate their passion for learning through their application essay.
Financial Aid Details
- Admission office makes the decision regarding one’s admission regardless of the financial situation of the applicant (only in the case of domestic applicants).
- Rice has a generous scholarship budget with over $89.2 million each year.
- The average financial aid award in the year 2017-18 was $46,077.
- It ranks in the 8th position of Best Value College published by Kiplinger and 11th position of Great Financial Aid published by the Princeton Review.
All applications apply to Rice online via Common Application, Coalition Application or QuestBridge. The online system guides the applicants through the process of providing the supporting credentials appropriate to the first-year applicant.
Applicants need to submit following documents:
- Rice’s Writing Supplement
- Guidance Counselor Evaluation
- High School Transcripts
- Mid-year Transcripts
- Teacher’s recommendation (at least 2)
- SAT scores
- English Proficiency Test Scores i.e. TOEFL/IELTS
For Early Decision: 1 November
Notification: Mid December
For Regular Decision: January 1
Notification: Late March
Official link to Rice University