Melbourne is the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Victoria. This city holds a population of over 4.2 million people which makes it the second populous city in Australia and Oceania. Melbourne is famous and frequent name when it comes to studying Australia. Here are the 10 interesting facts about Melbourne that you have not known before.
1. Melbourne was the capital city of Australia for 26 years. It stood capital city between 1901 and 1927.
2. Melbourne has the largest numbers of restaurant and pubs than any city in the world. Additionally, Melbourne imports about 30 tons of coffee beans each day.
3. Following, Melbourne is the most livable student city in the world. It is even ahead of Montreal and London.
4. Melbourne was the first city to host Olympic Games outside Europe and North America.
5. Melbourne is origination of world’s first feature film. The first feature film “The Story of Kelly Gang” was made in Melbourne in 1906.
6. In overall, over 38% of Melbourne population is overseas born. Likewise, more than 60% of residents have at least one parent born outside Australia.
7. Tramway system of Melbourne is the largest tramway outside Europe. It is considered as 4th largest in the world.
8. Five of Six Australia’s tallest sky rappers are based in Melbourne Central Business District.
9. Melbourne Olympic was held in 1956. Also, Melbourne is considered as sporting capital of the world. Melbourne is the only city in the world with five standard sporting facilities.
10. Vegemite came from Melbourne. Similarly, Black Box flight recorder used in aircrafts was also first invented in Melbourne.